Five Other Types of Distractions Besides Cell Phones
When most people discuss distracted driving, their minds typically immediately go to the dangers posed by mobile phones. Maybe they think of texting while driving or they envision people trying to make phone calls while operating motor vehicles.
In truth, cell phones are only one of many possible kinds of distractions that can result in traffic crashes. When a driver is distracted by some other task, he or she could also be considered negligent in any personal injury action arising from that accident.
Did you suffer serious injuries or was your loved one killed in a crash caused by a distracted driver in California? Do not say anything to any insurance company without first contacting the Los Angeles Injury Group. Call (310) 954-7248 to have our Los Angeles personal injury attorney review your case and answer all of your legal questions during a free consultation.
Common Distractions in California
Many drivers will protest any suggestion that they were not paying attention while operating their vehicles. Some of the more common ways drivers could potentially be distracted and cause crashes include, but are not limited to:
- Eating — Many people in California regularly dine behind the wheel, but certain types of foods in certain kinds of packages can cause big problems. In some cases, wrappers obstruct driver views, and particularly messy foods may result in spills that pull a driver’s eyes off roads.
- Smoking — Another common driving activity that is second nature to many still involves multiple hazards. First, the act of lighting a cigarette itself often diverts a driver’s eyes from the road. Additionally, increased smoke buildup inside a vehicle obscures vision, and related issues can arise for some people attempting to extinguish cigarettes within their vehicles.
- Adjusting Dashboard Components — Several people pull their eyes off the road to tend to some kind of issue on their in-vehicle console. Changing a radio station or otherwise adjusting in-vehicle audio controls is certainly one of the most common, but attempting to operate Global Positioning System (GPS) or adjusting climate controls are also common.
- Reading — Many people visiting California from other states or countries may be trying to look at maps while driving. In other cases, some negligent motorists may even have been attempting to read material for leisure while driving.
- Interacting with Other Vehicle Occupants — Perhaps one of the greatest possible distractions a driver has to deal with is his or her own passengers. If other occupants in the vehicle are being argumentative, boisterous, or unruly, it becomes difficult for the driver to maintain his or her focus on the road.
Find a Distracted Driving Accident Lawyer in California
If you sustained catastrophic injuries or your loved one was killed in a crash caused by a distracted driver in Southern California, it is in your best interest to quickly seek legal representation. Contact the Los Angeles Injury Group as soon as possible.
Our Los Angeles personal injury attorney will fight to make sure you receive all of the compensation you need and deserve for all of your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Call (310) 954-7248 or contact us online to have our firm provide a complete evaluation of your case.