Common Types of Child Car Accident Injuries
Los Angeles Personal Injury Attorney
Personal injury accidents occur on a daily basis in Los Angeles and can cause situations that are very stressful to deal with and can create confusion in a person’s life. Depending on the type of injury endured, a personal injury accident could lead to very expensive medical bills or lost wages.
Injuries from accidents can range from minor bruises to intense, life-threatening disabilities. These accidents can involve young children, which is every parent’s worst nightmare, and the effects of injuries to a young child can last a lifetime. If your child has been injured in an accident that was caused by the negligent actions of another person, fight for their legal rights. You could potentially earn compensation for the injuries sustained during the accident. Contact a knowledgeable personal injury attorney with the Los Angeles Injury Group to discuss your situation. We will help you investigate the entire accident and file a proper claim.
The attorneys at Los Angeles Injury Group are highly trained within all areas of California personal injury law. We will listen to your entire story and evaluate all of the evidence surrounding your accident to determine if you are able to file a claim for your injuries. We work diligently to ensure all aspects are considered before formulating a settlement offer. We are here to fight for the legal rights of Californians who have been injured due to another person’s negligence.
Most Common Injuries Sustained by Children in a Car Accident
When an accident occurs, the first thing you should do is seek medical attention immediately. This will provide quick medical treatment for the injured child as well as give crucial evidence when building a strong case against an at-fault driver. Tests that include X-rays or blood samples will indicate the type of injuries a child endured during the accident. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in the United States alone, 723 children ages 12 years and younger died in motor vehicle accidents in 2016. More than 128,000 children ages 12 years or younger were injured in the same year. The most common injuries a child encounters in car accidents are the following:
- Airbag Injuries – The purpose of an airbag is to help protect passengers from sustaining injuries. This is true for passengers above the age of 13 or people taller than 4’9″. These requirements are put into place because children are not strong enough to bear the force of airbags when they deploy. If a child sits in the front seat, they are more likely to become injured there than if they were in the backseat due to the force of airbags. Airbags can be responsible for breaking noses or necks of smaller children.
- Head and Neck Injuries – Head injuries are the most common trauma sustained by children in crashes. These types of injuries include concussions, whiplash, traumatic brain injury, contusions, and skull base fractures. More severe traumatic brain injuries can result in temporary or permanent developmental problems, cognitive difficulties, or behavioral problems.
- Glass Injuries – A broken window or windshield can cause severe lacerations and long term scarring. If the broken glass flies at a child’s face, this can cause dental injuries and facial trauma, which can lead to permanent disfigurement and plastic surgery.
- Chest Injuries – If children are not properly restrained, they can receive life-threatening chest injuries. Tightening restraints or crashing into the seat in front of them can cause children to suffer different types of thoracic injuries, including lung injuries, broken sternum, rib fractures, and internal bleeding.
- Fractures – Children can suffer many different types of fractures, including the wrist, hand, pelvis, legs, and foot fractures while bracing for impact. If a child is thrown outside of the vehicle, they are at a high risk of suffering fractures in their femur and humerus.
- Permanent Disability Injuries – These injuries involve nerve damage, spinal cord injuries, and the loss of limbs. Typically, these types of injuries occur from rollover accidents, which also cause the highest numbers of fatalities for children.
- Psychological difficulties after accidents – A child doesn’t have to suffer from severe head trauma to develop psychological problems. These types of complications could arise from the emotional strain of the accident. Accidents are traumatic experiences, and some children may need therapy for a period of time to help them move on from the accident. Therapy can help them focus on important aspects of their lives and not distract them from school activities or other social events.
Dealing with a child’s injuries due to the negligence of another driver is something no parent wants to go through. Don’t go through this traumatic car accident experience alone. The personal injury attorneys at Los Angeles Injury Group will give you advice every step of the way and work diligently for the appropriate settlement that you deserve.
Los Angeles Injury Group Personal Injury Attorney
Personal injury accidents take place in Los Angeles on a daily basis. Pursue legal advice on any personal injury matter if you have sustained injuries that were caused by another person’s careless, reckless, negligent, or deliberate actions. Protect your legal rights and seek help from a highly trained personal injury attorney at Los Angeles Injury Group.
Our attorneys will thoroughly research every aspect of your accident to make sure you receive the compensation you are entitled to. We are here to help you and want to ensure that we determine the highest value of your claim. We will fight for your legal rights and keep you informed every step of the way.
The attorneys at Los Angeles Injury Group want to help you during this overwhelming time. We understand these situations have long-term effects on your life. If your accident was caused by another individual’s carelessness or negligence, reach out to a knowledgeable personal injury attorney to protect your rights as an accident victim. Our attorney’s work utilizes unique tactics that lead to successful results.
Our personal injury attorneys will handle all aspects of your legal claim so you can focus on your personal recovery process. Find out how our personal injury attorneys at Los Angeles Injury Group can assist you today. Contact us at (310)-954-7248.